Monday, May 10

Review ~*~ Talk of the Town by Karen Hawkins



Mass Market Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Pocket; 1st Pocket Books Pbk. Ed edition (November 18, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 141656022X
ISBN-13: 978-1416560227

Talk of the Town is the first contemporary and the first novel in Karen Hawkins Glory, North Carolina series. I absolutely LOVED it! It was super funny and witty. The heroine was Roxie Tremayne who was returning to Glory to take care of her ill mother. She is recently divorced and decided to dye her hair blonde, get her belly button pierced and a tattoo all in the same day. She wants to break free of the bonds of the Southern Belle because it really didn't help her much in her marriage.

The secondary characters are her maid Tundy, Mark, her brother, Nick Sheppard the man she left behind in high school, Clara Nick's Aunt and her friends in her Murder Mystery Club. The novel had a bit of everything- laughter, serious moments, romance, intrigue and a real mystery. The story is about soul mates that have lost their way and have found themselves back at the place they left off. There are a few bumps along the way but it is dealt with humour and great attention to each other's feelings.

This is my first Karen Hawkins book and I can't wait to read her historicals. I read this book quite fast and loved the range of emotions I felt while reading it. I felt like I was right there in Glory with the characters. They were so real to me and believable. Even Aunt Clara in all her silliness about CSI and solving a mystery. I was very impressed about this book. It made me feel good and it made me think about my own relationship. I don't want to forget that Nick Sheppard is a very hot sheriff. I love small town sheriffs! They always give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I would recommend this novel to anyone that loves Sherryl Woods, Susan Wiggs or Lisa Kleypas' contemporaries. To anyone that loves small town series. I give it ouf of 5 babies because it will definitely be a book I come back to for a pick me up. I can't wait to here what happens next to the characters! It was a great first novel in a series.

No comments: