Thursday, May 6

Thoughtful Thursdays~ Aubrey's Musings on books (2)

Today was a great book day! Not sure why but I decided to look on Kijiji (like craigslist) and found someone selling a bunch of books. I lucked out! I bought the first 6 HON books, Maria V Snyder's Study Series and her Glass series and Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers trilogy all for 70 dollars. I was so excited to find all these books and to be able to get them for a steal. They are in EXCELLENT condition. I've been wanting to read the Study series for months now but haven't had the extra money.

Now you are probably wondering what this all means. I love buying books brand new and tend to buy 1 to 2 a week bare minimum. But lately haven't had the extra money to buy all thebooks I really want. I do feel bad that I'm buying used books BUT the way I see it if I end up falling in love with Maria V Snyder and PC Cast I will buy the rest of the their books as soon as the come out. I will also tell others about my love for them. So, in a way, I'm still getting their names out there.

What are your thoughts on buy used books? Does it even bother you? Do you do it all the time? Or, do you only buy used books of authors who are new to you and are unsure if you will love them?

I know an author's livelihood depends on books sales but right now sometimes books are just too expensive and the pull to buy books is too much not to cheap out and buy used books

The Canadian version of the Kindle has been released in Canada. It comes in white or black and its preloaded with 100 classics. It is so much more reasonable in price than the kindle. It is only $149! I'm excited to pick one up when I have extra money. Do you use your e-reader often? Which one do you have? I will still buy "normal" books because I love the smell of new books and the feel of a book in my hands. Someone should come up with a new book smell candle to burn while reading from their e-reader!

2 comments:

Book of Secrets said...

If I had my choice, I would always buy new books. But, if a title is out-of-print, sometimes I don't have a choice but to buy it used. I'm funny about the way a book looks (though it shouldn't matter). If I do by used, it has to be in great condition. I don't own an e-reader yet. Two reasons: Expensive(!) and I have a to-be-read pile of paper books that have taken over my house!! Eventually, I'll get one. My husband wants me to get an iPad, so when $500 drops out of the sky, I will be set to buy it!

Krystal said...

I never really gave much thought to buying used.
I am impatient and if there is book I really want new that I can't afford I will find it used.
There are certain authors thought that I will always by new as I collect their series and I want them all nice and perfect.

As far as an e-reader I don't think I could use one. I love the whole experience of curling up with a book. I would feel like I was cheating on my book , if that makes any sense lol