Thursday, April 1

My First Review

Photobucket

Simon & Schuster
ISBN - 10:0743296435
ISBN - 13:9780743296434

I picked up House Rules by Jodi Picoult - at the local library.(I am a big advocate of the library!). I had picked it up simply because I have read every other book by Jodi Picoult. She is one of my favourite authors, and I had a feeling she wouldn't disappoint, and I was right!

House Rules is about Jacob Hunt, a teenage boy with Asperger's syndrome. Picoult does an awesome job giving the readers symptoms of Asperger's and even Autism. She clearly did her homework on the subject, and was able to grasp what a teen with Aspergers would be like. Jacob, like most people with AS has a special focus, some might even say obession. It's where they learn everything and anything about a topic. In Jacob's case it's forensics. He knows more about forensics and DNA than most police officers. He always shows up at crime scenes to witness everything firsthand and give them tips.

When his social skills tutor comes up dead, the police automatically come to him for answers. What they weren't expecting was the way he answered questions, his tone, etc which are all a part of having AS. Taking these signs as guilt, Jacob is pinned with the murder of his tutor.

Like any other Picoult book, it has a twist of an ending, that I personally was not expecting. She developed all her characters amazingly. I felt empathy for all of them throughout the book.

I would definitely recommend this book to everyone. Picoult fans will love it, as it has all the elements of a Picoult book. Plus it will also attract new fans as well!

I would give this book Photobucket.

It's a definite must read!

Well, that's my first review! I was nervous enough with it being my first book review ever. Then after reading Aubrey's, I got even more nervous! Can't wait to do the next one.

2 comments:

Amanda Leigh said...

Great review! I haven't read anything of Jodi's yet, but I've heard this is a great book. You all are off to a great start!!

Krystal said...

This sounds like a good read. I will most likely pick it up. The issues with Asperger/autism would be interesting to me. I like books I can feel a connection to, makes them all the more interesting