Thursday, April 22

Thoughtful Thursday ~ Aubrey's Musings on books

Unfortunately I have no pretty graphics. Computers and I don't get along very well but I hope you would still enjoy my incessant prattle about books without them.

Today will be mismatch of things that are on my mind about books at the moment. I hope that people would give me suggestions or I'll start coming up with a weekly topic. I'm very new in the book blogging community. At first, I was just plain scared to start one because I did not want to fail at it. But, after, reading many people's blogs; I knew that you really couldn't fail as long as you kept at and posted often.

I'm really enjoying the whole process of book blogging. Reading other blogs, twitting about my blog and re-twitting for other book bloggers and interacting with authors. Its been quite an experience, so far and I love that I'm always learning new things everyday. I feel that I've joined a community of people that get me. That understand the thrill of finding that perfect book or waiting for your favourite author to publish something new. What made you decide to become a book blogger? What are your tips for new book bloggers?

I learned something new today about NY Times and their book best seller stats. The wonderful Susan Mallery helped me out on this tidbit! Did you know that if you find a book out earlier than its official release date it doesn't count to their NY Times Stats. This is what Susan Mallery (Check out her fb fan page. She's awesome! Lots of fun questions and the chance to interact with her directly. She always answers my questions and I love it!) responded to my question on her facebook fan page
Hi, Aubrey! Thanks for your question. I would never want to discourage someone from buying the book whenever it works best into your schedule, but yes, to count toward the NYT statistics for the week it opens, the book must be purchased after the offical release date. In the case of CHASING PERFECT, that's April 27.
I know that in the scheme of things that one book won't make a difference but it felt a lot like voting to me. I want my purchase of her new book to count so I will wait till the 27th to buy it. I find that some books come out earlier in Canada than they do in the United States. From now on I will wait to the official release date.

I love learning things such as this and hope that through blogging and the interaction with bloggers and authors I will gain confidence in myself to start writing my own romance novels. I have notebooks with ideas but haven't built up enough gumption to start the actual writing process. I love how some authors do not make themselves unapproachable or uninterested in their fans. To me, it makes reading so much better when I know the author is such a laid-back and engaging person.

Books have always been so important to me that this new adventure has opened up new reading adventures. I have some silly book buying quirks. I can't have a mix of hardcover and paper back in a series. They have to be all paper back. I can't read hardcover often because of the weight of them. I do, however, take hardcover out from the library waiting for the paper back version to come out. I don't read reviews of books till I have finished the novel myself. I don't want other people's reviews to take away from my reading pleasure. I cannot read a book mid series even if the author states they can be read as stand-alone novels. What are your reading quirks?

I hope you have enjoyed my first Thoughtful Thursday and will read many more!

Posted by ~*AUBREY*~

4 comments:

Book of Secrets said...

Great post! I was nervous about starting my own book blog too. I have never been comfortable with self-promotion. But, I really wanted a place to talk about books and meet others with my same interest. My friends aren't into romances. I'm new to this too. My blog is just over a month old, so I'm looking for good advice too!

We share some of the same reading quirks! I can't read a series out of order. Though, I would if an author wanted me to do a review. And I like for my series to match as well...like all paperback or all hardcover. (My favorite is trade paperback or book club edition hardcovers).

Keep us posted on your future romance novel!

Shanyn said...

I really liked this post! I like your writing style :)

Susan Mallery said...

Hi! Thanks for mentioning me, and thanks for then letting me know that you mentioned me by tweeting me! LOL I love the way we can connect in so many different ways online. Facebook, Twitter, and now your blog, all in one day!

We HEART reading said...

Our blogs are so new Diana! Our is less than a month. Jenn and I have a few ideas up our sleeves. Stay tuned!

Thanks Shanyn~!

Susan,
No kidding! We have all our bases covered today.