Friday, April 9

Review~*~ Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost


# Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
# Publisher: Avon (October 30, 2007)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0061245089
# ISBN-13: 978-0061245084

I really enjoyed this book and was laughing at parts but really I could not put it down. It is the first book in Jeaniene Frost 's The Night Huntress Series in which Cat is the main character. She is such a feisty and sassy person. She knew what she wanted and went after it not caring about what got in her way.

She is part vampire and part human. Her mother was raped by a vampire. She does not need to drink blood to survive but has extra abilities because of her part-vampire status. Her mother hates vampires which led to Cat becoming a vampire slayer. She was content killing vampires on the weekends till she met Bones. A vampire who knew what she was doing. They made a deal and became partners. Partners who became lovers.

Without giving up too much of the story line I will say that it was a great read. Frost interjected new life into vampire lore. However, I do think it took a bit too long for the romance to start. It took to page 159 before the romance started. It was not a bad thing that the romance took so long because it certainly kept me reading at a fast pace to figure out when it would happen.

I like the fact that Cat finally realizes that maybe vampires are not so bad after all. Considering that she is part vampire and dating one. Bones is the one who got her to see what she really does have instead of what she does not. Life for her is not as hard as she sees it.

The secondary characters were well thought out and funny as heck. I loved Timmie who was Cat's neighbour in her new apartment. He had the best line that gave her an epiphany about her relationship with Bones. Her mother would have not liked that she was dating a vampire and she told Timmie that she didn't like foreigners because she didn't want him to know she was in fact dating a vampire. He said Everyone's go something in them that somebody's going to have a problem with, but your mom should be more concerned about whether he makes you happy than where he's from. This quote simply means it doesn't matter if he's English or a vampire as long as she's happy everyone else should be too.

I read this book for the NAC Mini-Challenge: Battle Royale | Literary Escapism but would have read it anyways since it has been on my TBR pile for weeks. I'm glad I did and now I see what all the fuss was about. I will recommend this book to others and can't wait to read the rest in the series.

I'm giving this book 5 Photobucket because it will be on to be read again shelf!

No comments: