Monday, April 19

Review ~*~ Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn



Mass Market Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Berkley; 1st edition (October 3, 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0425212548
ISBN-13: 978-0425212547

Throughout my years of lurking on the amazon paranormal romance and urban fantasy boards one book series got mentioned over and over again. That series is The Otherworld or also called Sisters of the Moon by Yasmine Galenorn. At first I was a bit shocked at how short they were since I'm used to books that are close to 400 pages or more. However, once I started reading I realized how big of a punch her books really are. They may be shorter than the average novel but they are jammed packed with more description and characterization than most novels.

The first book is about Camille D'Artigo. One of the trio of sisters that are half-human and half-faerie. Not only are they of mixed blood but each sister also possesses a special extra identity to them. Camille, is also part witch where her spells sometimes work and sometimes don't. Delilah, is a shape shifter that shifts into cat form when stressed or upset. Menolly, is a vampire that is newly turned so she is still learning her way around the vampire world. All three of them are operatives for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. I really felt that Galenorn really cared about her characters. That each character was imbued with something special from the author's world.

A giant has been murdered who was also an operation for OIA. The three sisters along with a sprite, human OIA operative, a dragon, and Morio are trying their hardest to figure out what has happened. It is suspected that demons are getting through to Earth. The secondary characters are very well developed with their own distinct personalities. So much so, you just want to read each book as fast as you can.

I did have a love hate relationship with Galenorn's description of what the characters were wearing. I liked knowing but would think does it really matter? But in the end it made the story better as a whole. You got so much detail that you really did feel like you were there. The story was very layered and textured. I loved that each sister had more than just their half-human/half-faerie identity.

I read a blog recently stating that it helps readers to compare books to other books. I don't think its possible for the world that Galenorn has created. It is so different with new insight into the paranormal/fantasy world that has been recreated by so many authors as of late. I will definitely recommend this book and the rest of the series to people. I did give it out of 5 babies because I was not wanting to read it 24/7 till I was finished. It was an excellent book but not as captivating as I had hoped.

This was a review by Aubrey Mac

2 comments:

Krystal said...

I have this book as well. I agree with you, while it was an interesting read I was not compelled to read it all in a few hours.I did like her characters though. They were all very interesting and different for each other.
I have not read the others in this series. I may buy them but its not high on my list.

We HEART reading said...

I have the next 3. I will read them but I have to finish to books for a challenge. I do find that the first book of the series is always a bit slow going.