Friday, April 9

YA books and my reluctance to read them

I'm not sure if its because I started reading books by King, Koontz, Steel etc. by a very young age or if its because when I was considered an YA there weren't that many authors writing in this genre, but either way I've had this anti-YA book stance for a long time.

I don't like that I do and its not that I look down on those who read from this genre I just don't see how they would appeal to me.

But I'm ready to give my reading mind a shake. Please send me recommendations on your favourite YA books. I love series but they don't have to be in a series.

Jenn my co-blogger has read a lot of YA books. So I will be asking her for recommendations as well.

I will also be checking out my favourite authors who write in both genres.

3 comments:

Krystal said...

I was like you when I was younger. I never really read YA I was reading Stephen King,Anne Rice, V.C Andrews.
But I have tried a few here and there as an adult. Some have disappointed and others were not to bad.

There are the big popular ones like Twilight and Harry Potter. Which I found good.
Stardust is a good one and so is Eragon and City of Ember all are movies too lol

P.C Cast has the House of Night books. I don't know how good they are but I like her other adult stuff

I have heard good things about the Artemis Fowl books from others but have not read it

this is a site that has a bunch listed that are the best apparently. I have read a lot from this list and for the most part they are good

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/43.Best_Young_Adult_Books

Book of Secrets said...

I feel the same way about YA. When I was a young adult (the late 80s), I was reading Jackie Collins and Virginia Henley. Last year a friend persuaded me to read the Twilight series with her. It was okay, I guess, but not nearly as good as Charlaine Harris' Sookie series. YA is huge now! Maybe I'm missing something!!

Amanda Leigh said...

I love Nightworld by L.J. Smith, Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, House of Night by P.C. Cast (some people really don't like it though so it's a toss up lol),and Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare are all series I have. Just read Wings by Aprilynne Pike and oh yeah Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Of course there's Harry Potter, Twilight, and Eragon which were all good in my opinion.
My mom is actually the one that got me started reading Harry Potter after she read it. She also bought me Twilight, and well most of the series listed here were from my family. huh. LOL